HOTEL STAYCATION TIPS
It’s that time of year again where the winter blues start creeping in. Daylight hours are still sparse, there are no work holidays until Memorial Day, and Punxsutawney Phil just proclaimed 6 more weeks of winter! If you’re like me and don’t have lots of vacation days to burn through, a staycation is a good way to break out of your winter rut and come back feeling refreshed. Some people like to staycation at home, but for me it’s important to get out of the house. When I’m at home, I can quickly get sucked into doing things like cleaning and errands.
As much as I love jet-setting to new and far away places, travel and relaxation don’t always go hand in hand due to all the planning and logistics involved (flights, rentals, packing, etc.). Staycations are awesome because the primary purpose is to relax and they take virtually no planning. Just pick a hotel and go. If you end up forgetting something you desperately need, you can always go home and get it. Recently, I’ve been looking ahead in my calendar to see how I can break up the daily grind over the next few months and a staycation is certainly on the list. The older I get, the more I appreciate having time to do absolutely nothing. Below, I’ve listed 10 tips for enjoying a staycation to the fullest. Consider taking your staycation now!
10 Ways to Maximize a Staycation:
- Digital Detox: While technology often makes our lives a lot easier, it’s also good to take a step back sometimes and remember how to be human.
- Don’t Over Schedule: Sleep in, enjoy your coffee, and leave time for spontaneity.
- Catch Up On Reading: Escape the stresses of the day-to-day routine with a good book. Reading is something I really enjoy, but it never gets prioritized. If you have any suggestions, feel free to send them my way!
- Check-In Early And Check-out Late: Requesting an early check-in and/or late check-out will help maximize the time you have at the hotel.
- Pamper Yourself: This can be as simple or lavish as you want. I’ve been loving these face masks that have animal faces printed on them. Don’t forget to put on the robe and slippers!
- Be A Local Tourist: When you live somewhere, there are so many things that you say you want to do, but never get around to it. Sometimes it’s nice to enjoy the city that you live in!
- Breakfast In bed: Wake up to a freshly prepared breakfast in the comfort of your own room.
- Get Some Exercise: It doesn’t have to be your regular work out or class. Many hotels now offer free/discounted fitness classes or bikes to ride around town.
- Consider A Splurge: Since you don’t have all the costs normally associated with a vacation, thinking about treating yourself to something fancy like a spa treatment or cooking class.
- Get Your House Cleaned: Coming home to a clean house will help you continue feeling relaxed after you have returned from your staycation.
* Photos are from a prior stay at The Graduate Charlottesville in Charlottesville, Virginia.